NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC
Below is a letter addressed to the Talaya brothers from Grandmaster Eduardo Ceniza
The Filipino Martial Arts, while not having a set of rules and guidelines, adheres to the ideals of other Eastern arts, including but not limited to the following: respect and deference to one’s Guro, faithfulness and purity to the art, and preservation of Filipino culture and history. As such, our esteemed organization, Baraw Sugbo, seeks to emulate these ideals, and to call out actions which run contrary to these. It has come to my attention that you have breached the aforementioned ideals because of your following actions:
- Creating and marketing a different name for Baraw Sugbo
- Non-acknowledgment of my lineage
- Questionable certification of students
- Conducting seminars without prior approval
- Using Baraw Sugbo for commercial purposes (i.e. mass DVD production and distribution, seminars)
- Incorporation of Baraw Sugbo methodologies into another art without permission
While Baraw Sugbo is meant to be shared, there are ideals which must be upheld, in deference to my ancestors who have conceptualized, refined, and even given their lives in the practice of this art.
Due to this serious breach of trust, you are to cease and desist immediately from using the name Baraw Sugbo a.k.a. Arnes Diablo. You are also stricken off from the list of authorized representatives of Baraw Sugbo a.k.a. Arnes Diablo.
– Grandmaster Eduardo Ceniza